Rosacea is a skin condition that causes reddening of the skin on various parts of the face. It can even spread to the chest and back, covering it in tiny red bumps that can become uncomfortable. Those who are concerned about the side effects of prescription medicines can consider natural treatments for rosacea. Some of the popular natural treatments have been listed as follows.
1. Lifestyle changes
If you are suffering from certain diseases or health conditions, changing your lifestyle can be helpful. Lifestyle change is one of the best natural treatments for rosacea that can not just help you treat rosacea but also provide other health benefits.
Lifestyle changes could involve the following:
- You need to manage stress, as it can be a trigger factor that causes a flare-up of rosacea symptoms. Meditation and avoiding stressful situations can help with stress management.
- A balanced diet can help in keeping the skin healthy. Certain foods can trigger rosacea and such foods need to be identified and avoided.
- Foods that are rich in antioxidants such as berries, pecans, artichokes as well as anti-inflammatory foods like kale, avocado, almonds, and salmon should be consumed more.
- Rosacea symptoms can be worsened by using steroids and vasodilators. You need to talk to a doctor to try and find an alternative for such medications.
- Avoid exposure to heat and direct sunlight.
- Shield yourself from cold weather and heavy winds with protective clothing as they can affect your skin.
- Exercise keeps the immune system healthy and improves skin health. It can help in controlling the symptoms of rosacea.
2. Protect yourself from the sun
One of the most important natural remedies for rosacea is to protect yourself from sunlight. The symptoms of rosacea can increase due to exposure to sunlight. Wear protective clothing to shield your skin from the UV rays of the sun and wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
Avoid exposure to the sun between 10 am and 4 pm when the sunlight has maximum UV rays. If you have to go out, cover your skin or use sunscreen products. Look for a natural sunscreen product that is free of strong chemicals. Opt for a sunscreen with SPF (sun protection factor) greater than 15.
3. Drink aloe vera water
When you have skin problems, you need to consume sufficient water. Apart from regular water, you can try aloe vera water. You can prepare it at home by using the pieces of the aloe plant and add it to water and mixing the two in a blender. You can also add lemon juice to create a good flavor. Drinking this water frequently helps benefit your skin, including the reduction of rosacea symptoms.
4. Use essential oils
Essential oils can be applied to the skin to protect it. Lavender oil and tea tree oil have been found to be helpful as a natural remedy. You can mix these oils with your moisturizer and apply it to the affected areas daily.
Some of the popular natural treatments for rosacea listed in this article can be tried out at home. These remedies call for lifestyle changes that would provide other benefits as well. The treatments described here have helped many people with rosacea.