Diet is one of the natural remedies for migraines. A balanced diet with adequate nutrients can help in reducing symptoms of migraine. Also, there are many foods that are well-known triggers for migraine symptoms. It is necessary to remove such foods from the diet or avoid them as much as possible.
The best diet for migraine sufferers includes foods that provide nutrients while avoiding trigger foods to prevent migraine attacks:
1. Avoid trigger foods
Following a healthy diet plan acts as a natural remedy for migraines and can help in preventing and reducing migraine symptoms. While planning a diet, it is important to leave out trigger foods that can cause a migraine attack. What may be a trigger food for one person may not cause symptoms in another.
It is important to identify foods that trigger a migraine. You can use an elimination diet to make a list of food items that cause symptoms so that they can be avoided.
Coffee triggers migraines in most people. However, it works does not have a harmful impact on all migraine patients. In some people, drinking coffee causes a migraine attack, while for others, not drinking coffee can cause a headache. Depending on how it affects you, coffee should be avoided or consumed. In any case, one must limit the consumption of coffee. A gradual reduction of coffee is advised to prevent sudden attacks. Also, you must be careful if you are taking medications that have caffeine. Chocolate, which may also contain caffeine, can trigger migraines in some people and must be avoided.
Alcohol consumption can trigger a painful migraine attack. Avoiding alcohol is advisable for all those suffering from migraines.
4. Processed meat
Processed meat, as found in hot dogs or hamburgers, can cause a sudden and severe headache in some people. Sausage, ham, bacon, and other processed meat must be avoided if they cause a migraine attack.
Not eating food on time, or skipping meals, can also cause migraines.
6. Foods to be included in a migraine diet
The following foods are good for those having migraines and can help in alleviating symptoms.
- Fruits and vegetables: Fruits and vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals. They should be a part of the diet to ensure the body gets the nutrients needed. These foods help in strengthening the immune system allowing the body to manage symptoms of migraines naturally. Fresh fruits and vegetables must be consumed, and dried fruits and vegetables with preservatives must be avoided. However, citrus fruits, onions, and beans can potentially cause migraines and should be consumed only if they do not create any problem.
- Whole grains: Replacing processed grains with whole grains is a good option if you are suffering from migraines. It provides fiber and vitamins to the body that help in managing the symptoms.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds provide nutrients and can help reduce symptoms of headaches. Walnut, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds can be included in the diet.
- Meat: If suffering from migraines, you need to include more seafood in your diet. Fatty fishes, which are rich in Omega-3, are good for those having a migraine. Turkey, chicken, and fresh beef can also be included in the diet.